We have been made aware of a significant number of garage break-ins resulting in the theft of bicycles and tools. Please see the following tips to help prevent thefts from garages:
– Register your valuable items such as bikes, electronics, tools etc. for free on www.Immobilise.com.
– Take pictures of valuables and record their serial numbers and keep these safe. This information helps increase the chance of these items being returned to you if they are stolen.
– If possible, don’t store Christmas presents in the garage prior to the big day. Keep them inside the house but out of sight.
– Consider installing a Secured by Design approved anchor post inside the garage to which you can secure valuable items such as bikes.
– If your garage has an up and over door, consider installing an outer bracket and floor eyelet welded or bolted to the bottom of the door. This should be secured with a closed-shackle padlock. Alternatively if you access your garage via an internal door, you can drill a hole in the top channel above the wheels and insert a padlock into the hole.
– Never leave a garage or shed unlocked, especially if it has a connecting door to the house.
– Visibly and permanently mark property using a Secured by Design-approved forensic property-marking kit.
– Think of securing windows with grills or heavy wire mesh to increase window security and the use of net curtains to deter casual viewing of the inside of your garage.
Message Sent By
Vicky Craig (Police, Communications Officer, Wiltshire)
Sign up to police community messaging here: https://www.wiltsmessaging.co.uk/