In a nutshell:
In 2012, we set up a Picnic in the Park to celebrate the Queens Diamond Jubilee. We used the village playing field next to the village hall and set up children’s entertainment and live music for the older family members. It was so successful we decided to keep a picnic in the park themed event going every year. In 2013, we re-named it Figgle Fest after the common mis-pronounciation of Figheldean as ‘Figgle-dean’.
What makes this project so special:
Bringing the community together with their friends and families, getting locals involved to help organise all of the events, whether it be helping set up Figgle Fest on playing field, joining in with the carol singing or attending the Duck race. We are always giving the community something to look forward to.
How you can replicate this project where you live:
Besides the funding we receive, we also set up our own local fundraising events; these being an Easter Duck Race between the two bridges in Figheldean, Carol Singing around the village and various Raffles throughout the year.
Other local annual music events have now been set up using the same formula as ours, so we feel very proud of our achievements.
- Establish local need – Does your area want an event to bring the community together
- Talk to Figheldean Fun Day about their experience
- Identify local volunteers and organisers
- Form an appropriate group to take the project forward
Find out more and get in touch:
Visit our Facebook page: Figheldean Village Community Events
- Setting up a new group
- Running events
- Managing volunteers
- Promoting your events or activity
- Insurance and risk
- Sources of funding
- Working with young or vulnerable individuals
- Contact your Commnunity Engagement Manager