“Transport is a key element of a modern society with impacts on the economy, climate change, people’s health, social exclusion, street scenes and the countryside”
In a nutshell:
A Road Watch scheme provides a comprehensive monitoring and reporting scheme for local road issues, such as potholes. Issues can be reported to Wiltshire Council using My Wiltshire, either using an online form or via the app on a smartphone. Registration is free and once you have joined you can track the reports you have made, even receiving a notification once the work has been completed. Individuals are able to report issues but there is an opportunity for local parishes/communities to take a strategic approach to ensuring local issues are reported as quickly as possible, leading to quicker response times and an improvement in the overall state of local roads. There is also the opportunity to take this approach with other key local issues, such as fly tipping and dog fouling.
What makes this project special:
Wiltshire has over 4,000km of roads. In 2015/16 only 20% of non-principal unclassified roads were surveyed for consideration for treatment. Residents in local communities are the ones most aware of where there are issues that need to be addressed and with the advance of My Wiltshire it has never been easier to report these on the go. With this in mind the desired outcomes of a Road Watch scheme can promote joint working and community resilience through:
- sense of purpose – sharing knowledge
- sense of accomplishment – personal achievement, contributing to the community
- sense of control – co-participants in decision and activities
- social engagement – opportunity to meet and interact with others
- support – belonging, a sense of community
- improvements to the local road system and environment
- opportunities to grow and develop, take responsibility for other local issues, link in with established groups or form new ones such as Neighbourhood Watch, Lorry Watch etc.
Find out more:
- Find contact details for your local Parish/Town Council http://cms.wiltshire.gov.uk/mgParishCouncilDetails.aspx
- More information on My Wiltshire http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/parkingtransportandstreets/roadshighwaysstreetcare.htm
- How the Council responds to highways defects http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/highway-inspection-manual.pdf