“It costs Council Tax payers in Wiltshire over £3m each year to pick up litter.”
Local volunteers come together to clean up an area of land or open space in a village, town or neighbourhood.
In a nutshell:
Local litter picking groups aim to clear litter from open spaces, improve the local environment and encourage volunteer participation in a worthwhile, healthy, social activity. Groups work with businesses, schools, community groups, individuals; and just about anyone else who cares about where they live and work.
What makes this project special:
Litter is a growing source of public concern in Wiltshire, ranking 7th out of 72 public concerns in a recent consultation.
By joining a local litter group, or starting a new one you will not only improve the place you live it’ll give you the chance to:
- Meet like-minded people and get to know your neighbours
- Take action on an issue that you care about
- Live in a cleaner and better looking environment
- Improve your health & mental wellbeing by spending more time in the great outdoors with friends and neighbours
- Cleaner streets, parks and countryside provide the backbone for strong communities
How you can replicate this project where you live:
- Decide who will run your litter pick
- Pick a date/time
- Decide the location
- Publicise your event
- Produce a risk assessment
- Obtain equipment
- Obtain insurance
- Decide how you will dispose of your litter
- Celebrate the results!
Find out more and get in touch: