“Transport is a key element of a modern society with impacts on the economy, climate change, people’s health, social exclusion, street scenes and the countryside.”
In a nutshell:
A Highways self-help scheme is where the Parish/Town Council uses local volunteers to help identify minor works in or around the public highway, which are then prioritised for action.
Wiltshire Council operates a parish steward scheme, which serves a group of parish and town councils in the county, reporting issues and carrying out repairs and maintenance, providing a ‘one stop and done’ service. They prioritise the needs of their patch including roads, pathways, drainage and verge maintenance with input provided by the local Parish Council. Their remit includes painting railings, highways strimming and minor pothole repairs.
What makes this project special:
Wiltshire has over 4,000km of roads. Through its Parish Steward scheme Wiltshire Council can provide a maintenance service that focuses on local priorities, establishing a direct link with local Parish and Town Councils. With limited resources it is vitally important to prioritise local works effectively. This scheme can promote social inclusion and wellbeing, through:
- sense of purpose – sharing knowledge;
- sense of accomplishment – personal achievement, contributing to the community, helping to make a difference;
- sense of control – co-participants in decision and activities;
- social engagement – opportunity to meet and interact with others, get out and about in your community, develop friendships, enjoyment and fun;
- self esteem, self worth, self image – feeling positive and valued;
- support – belonging, being an important part of the local community;
Find out more:
- Information about Wiltshire Council’s Parish Steward scheme http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/news/articles/parish-steward-scheme-officially-launched
- Wiltshire Council Highways Services http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/highways
- Devon County Council also have self-help and community support schemes https://new.devon.gov.uk/roadsandtransport/maintaining-roads/self-help-and-community-support/