Dorothy House invite you to support its ‘One Man & His Dog’ 180-mile Walking Tour – 17 Oct to 2 Nov.
From 17 October to 2 November, our chief executive, John Davies and his springer spaniel, Myrtle, will embark on a 180-mile walk, visiting all 28 Dorothy House shops in 20 towns and spanning the hospice’s 700sq mile region.
There will be lots of opportunities for local people and groups to get involved. See https://www.dorothyhouse.org.uk/events.
The aim of the tour is to share our ‘Everyday, Everyone’ plan for 2018-2025 to deliver outstanding palliative and end-of-life care across our local region in Bath and North East Somerset, Somerset and Wiltshire. John Davies and the Dorothy House team will explain our vision for end of life care in the future, meet with local people, businesses, charities and community groups to hear about the opportunities and challenges in each area and to raise vital funds for patient care.
John will be visiting the following towns:
Weds 17/10 Bath – Keynsham
Thurs 18/10 Keynsham – Midsomer Norton
Fri 19/10 Midsomer Norton – Shepton Mallet
Sat 20/10 Shepton Mallet – Frome
Sun 21/10 Frome – Warminster
Mon 22/10 Warminster
Tues 23/10 Warminster – Westbury
Weds 24/10 Westbury – Trowbridge
Thurs 25/10 Trowbridge – Melksham
Fri 26/10 Melksham – Devizes
Sat 27/10 Devize – Calne – Chippenham
Sun 28/10 Chippenham – Malmesbury
Mon 29/10 Malmesbury – Badminton
Tues 30/10 Badminton – Marshfield
Weds 31/10 Marshfield – Corsham
Thurs 01/11 Corsham – Bradford on Avon
Fri 02/11 Bradford on Avon – Bath
Here’s how you can get involved:
- Join in a short leg of the walk with John and Myrtle see https://www.dorothyhouse.org.uk/events for more detail. (If you intend to walk with us then please let us know by using the email address below.)
- Attend Dorothy House talks or social events in your local area
- Donate funds to Dorothy House via https://localgiving.org/fundraising/onemanandhisdog/ (Local Giving will be match funding some of the funds raised for the hospice during October.)
- Pass on this invitation to as many colleagues and contacts as possible
- Print out one of the attached posters to help us promote the event
- Follow John and Myrtle’s progress on Dorothy House social media channels to view highlights of their adventures and to find out how to join in.
If you’d like to talk to us about how your organisation or group can get involved please contact our fundraising team on email@example.com or T: 01225 721 480.
For details of daily walks and events during the tour visit https://www.dorothyhouse.org.uk/events
The ‘Everyday, Everyone’ plan is the outcome of a two-year review and analysis into local care needs which revealed that demand for palliative and end of life care is set to grow by a third between 2018-2025. The plan outlines how Dorothy House will develop its care and support services in the next seven years while meeting the challenges of an ageing population and a widening patient base as the hospice supports more people with non-cancer diagnoses. Currently 21% of people cared for by the hospice are non-cancer patients which will rise to an expected 56% in 2025.